Hearing Impairment In Daily Life 2

A few weeks ago, I had a terrible cold. My nose was running and my throat hurt. Also, I didn't hear as well as I used to hear which was worse than others even hear in normal circumstances, taking my hearing loss into consideration.

The following morning, I went shopping at the local market. Sellers were displaying their products on the street, sitting on the ground. A woman called to me. I went closer to her and crouched down to be able to hear what she was saying. She was a seller that I used to buy unpasteurized milk from. Now, she wore a niqab. That was why I didn’t recognize her. In addition, I struggled to understand what she said because I couldn't see her mouth.

I kept walking around the market looking for tomatoes. Most of the tomatoes were mushy and bad. Finally, I found tomatoes in better condition. I asked the seller what the cost was a few times because I thought he didn’t hear me. However, apparently, it was me who didn’t hear him because he said, “I have already told you three times that a kilo costs 15!”
I said, “Oh, really” and left. I couldn’t laugh it off. I already struggle to catch what people say in my day-to-day life, so imagine having a cold that blocks my ears and makes it even harder to hear people.

I’m angry because I have to go through these kinds of situations quite often. I’m frustrated because whenever I tell people that I can’t hear them well, most of them look at me as if I were stupid. 

Comments

Popular Posts