What A Coincidence!

 May has had a series of extraordinary coincidences so far. To tell you the first one, let me take you back with me to Rwanda one year ago. In January 2023, when I was in Kigali, I got to know an Egyptian guy via a volunteer website. We first met in a local market. A couple of days later, we met again in Musanze, a town in the north of Rwanda. We shared our personal stories and our struggle with getting cash.

A month earlier, our “dear” government decided to impose limits on withdrawing cash in foreign currencies abroad. That was why we had to be very careful with money. We ended up sharing chapati and avocado as our main meals to save our cash. He also told me about his attempt to emigrate to Canada. After three days in Musanze, I left to go to Gisenyi on my own while he stayed there. Later, I went back to Kigali to catch my flight back to Egypt. We haven't spoken ever since.

One day, I tried to message him on WhatsApp but his number wasn’t active anymore. I assumed that he had made it to Canada and changed his phone number.

Time passed and life kept kicking me in the teeth. After spending a few months at home reading and educating myself on my hearing loss, I needed a break. A few days ago, I traveled to Dahab, a town far away from my hometown. While walking around the city on the 15th of May, I came across him sitting in front of a building. I couldn’t believe my eyes. What a small world we live in! Imagine, he’s just one of the 111 million people living in Egypt's 29 governorates. I’m from the South while he is from the North. However, we met again by chance in a totally different city in our home country.

The second coincidence occurred just a few days ago. Before my trip to Dahab, a German lady hosted me in Cairo for two nights. Her name was Sabine and she had short hair. She was generous, kind and empathetic. We clicked immediately.

Around the same time last year, in May, I met another Sabine but in Safaga. She lived in Switzerland but she was originally from Germany. She had short hair and a kind heart. We also got along very well and we are still in contact with each other.

Was it a coincidence? Or was it a sign to keep moving to find out what’s in store for me?

Comments

Most Read